I’ve been really liking the “30 Days of Thankfulness” that people have been doing on here and on Facebook, and I wish I had got it together (on the regular) to do it everyday, but Sew’s comment on my last post was too on the money ;) But I am thankful, for many things, so here is just a list of some of them!
1. I’m thankful for my faith! What a gift it was when it came after so many years of doubt and cynicism. Without my faith and belief that the world is so much bigger than me and my struggles, but that there really is a bigger, greater plan that is slowly unfolding, how I would have lost it long ago.
2. I am thankful for the faith of others! Because sometimes we need each other to help us along when we’re struggling the most.
3. I am thankful for a God so much bigger than me! It takes the pressure off when you realize you don’t have to figure it out all on your own.
4. I am thankful for the gift of my husband! I knew when I met him he would change my life. I had no clue what was in store but I am thankful for his willingness to keep talking to me after I realized (and told him) that “OH you’re one of THOSE Catholics!”. A good example of His hands and feet.
5. I am thankful for my Samuel! He is our light. Our smiley little sidekick. And the (un)fortunate little guy who gets to bear the brunt of our parenting imperfections :) I pray everyday I am not damaging him beyond repair!
6. I am thankful to live close to family! True, I would prefer to live closer to “my” family, but marriage has taught me that that type of division will only get you in trouble with your spouse, so I am thankful for the chance to live near family now. For us, and for Samuel. You cannot choose your family but you cannot abandon them either and I truly believe this.
7. I am thankful for healthy food! It takes more time to make, but I am oh so thankful for the chance to have more time piddling in the kitchen, trying recipes and making stuff from scratch to feed my family.
8. I am thankful my husband is OK with spending more on healthy food! I generally drive the “crunchy” train around here but I am thankful my husband sees the value of healthier living, in so many aspects of our life but especially the budgeting aspect since these are joint decisions.
9. I am thankful for open friends! I am that girl at class/church/the store/any event, who if you make eye contact with or just are in my general vicinity I WILL come talk to you and introduce myself. Because life is too short to miss the chance to make connections and there have been too many times where my husband has heard me say “She seemed so cool…I wish I would have gotten her number!!” So when you’re open, it makes it that much easier for me to not feel like a weirdo :) This includes you guys!
10. I am thankful for the mountains! We live in the foothills. Which means any chance of exercise I have outside means that I WILL be ascending terrain and that means I WILL be getting a better workout (if I can finish) than I would have otherwise. Plus, they are beautiful to look at.
11. I am thankful for white noise machines! Because without them I’m pretty sure it would be impossible to do ANYthing during nap time.
12. I am thankful for the neighborhood cat! Because he satisfies my need to pet something furry. The previous tenant of this place used to let him in so he kind of thinks this is his second home…
13. I am thankful for Thanksgiving. Can I do that? I think its beyond perfect that we have a holiday about being thankful…especially and even though they are trying to destroy it by having all things Christmas slowly swallow it whole.
14. I am thankful for the internet for access to beautiful writers. Two great things I’ve read recently include this and this. I am thankful for the eloquence of others that capture things I have such trouble articulating.
15. I am thankful for my health. A great lead in…but I am healthy. My body is supporting itself and my little one. I am not sick. I only sneeze at 3 in the morning for some random reason but I am able and generally feel good and for that I am thankful.
16. I am thankful for the thousands of parents that have gone before me. Not only do they give advice in terms of books that tell me what (and what not!) to do, they remind me that if they can do it, so can I.
17. I am thankful for our new car! The first car I have ever had to buy. I am thankful my husband researches the heck out of anything he does to make sure that we get the best, optimized solution.
18. I am thankful for my education! I love learning and I’m so thankful that my education knew no bounds except for my own desires. My parents sacrificed to make that happen and I had manna from the sky in terms of scholarships and fellowships that helped make it happen without debt. This is nothing short of (hard work and) a miracle.
19. I am thankful for the opportunity to go back to work! My husband’s paternity leave made it possible for me to test out working at my old job and led me to discover that right now I really am meant to be at home. It is the best solution for our family all around. Without the chance to at least try it, I know myself and I know I would have always wondered what if. Now I know.
20. I am thankful for supportive friends. Those who you can tell anything to and they don’t judge you, but they also don’t roll around in the mud with you. They listen, acknowledge and empathize with you, but help you get back up.
21. Along those lines….I am thankful for your supportive comments. I am in and out…mostly out lately, but I really try to let the bad comments get washed out by the others.
Thanks for sticking around to the end….I hope you have a sincere Thanksgiving with lots of good food!